Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I'm broke. Let's fix it.

The last part of this year has been characterized by our being pretty much totally broke. Now, a disclaimer is in order---we went on an Alaskan cruise in August, which we paid for in cash. A lot of our brokeness can be attributed to throwing all our extra money at that. And, due to a slight dispute over the terms of our lease with the landlord of former residence, we paid two rents on the first of this month. So, I guess I'm saying we're broke as a direct results of our actions.

The knowledge of this reality---that we're temporarily broke because we went on an extravagant vacation and we paid two rents this month---has not in the least prevented me from being mopey all day today. Perhaps having to scrounge the dregs of our food envelope for enough money to buy cat food yesterday is what put me in a funk. Or maybe it was having not one, but two beer brewing catalogs in my apartment, and not a spare dollar to even order some bottle caps. *le sigh*

I let myself be mopey for a while, but I decided to snap out of it. Yes, I might not have any spare funds at the moment, but I never do---we use a zero-balance budget, so every dollar is accounted for anyway. No "spare" money, ever. Just so happens that there wasn't any fun money in this pay period. And we're in no danger of starving because two friends who moved away gave us all their food. And T-Bone is in no danger of starving either because really there was plenty left in the food envelope this pay period to get her a new bag of kibble (and even kitty litter. How fancy!). Besides, it was two rents and an Alaskan vacation that "caused" this. I really have nothing to be mopey about.

Part of the snapping-out-of-it process for me is to reaffirm the goals we've set for ourselves for our debt repayment and emergency fund savings. Here's our plan:

Out of debt: December 31, 2011 (Right after I turn 30)
Fully funded emergency fund: October 15, 2012 (Right before Luke turns 30)
Start funding retirement: November 1, 2012 (BOOSH!)

In the short term, at least for this pay period while there's no money, I plan on posting some things on Craigslist. Also, I'm mulling over the idea to start teaching some knitting classes to pull in some extra income. I would love to have our debt paid of even a month earlier than the projected date.

I also resolve not to go on any more extravagant vacations. Or pay two rents in the same month.

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya babe. We just pulled a trip to Chicago out of nowhere... kinda reeling on that one. We seem to be advancing with a kind of sloth intensity, someone appears to have taken all the gazelles back to Africa.

    If you need a mini vacation, some restfulness, grab a book or some knitting and visit the Abbey... it's F-R-E-E! A four-letter word I can truly embrace. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see you posting again! I had missed reading you. And remember while you are broke right now, you have met your goals of not going into debt. It doesn't feel like it right now, but you are saving yourself money...

    ReplyDelete